Tuesday, September 16, 2008

YOUNG JEEZY INTERVIEW

Jeezy Cares About Politics: Who Would've Thought?

Published: Tuesday - September 16, 2008
Words by Eddie Huang

Young Jeezy
Young Jeezy (Photo: Def Jam)
AHHHHHH, "When I was 14, I turned nothin' to a quarter mill, probably why I never give a f*** about a record deal. I ain't never try the sh**, imagine how that white feel, but that don't even matter though ... tryin to pay the light bill. Light bill, phone bill, plus my granny nerve pills. Feel like I should be takin em, imagine how my nerves feel. I want a new Bentley, my aunty need a kidney and if I let her pass, her children never will forgive me. God damn another trap, I think Bush tryin' to punish us. Send a little message out to each and every one of us. Real G sh**, well that's really unheard of when you get more time for sellin' dope than murder." - Young Jeezy on "Crazy World"

I sporadically clown the South just like everyone else for the garbage comin' out the durty, but right now Jeezy and T.I. got it on smash. TIP got "Whatever You Like," which is hot, but Jeezy just took his sh** to another level. A lot of these rappers is actors, but Jeezy's been holdin' us down with real talk and hood politics for years. Like many Americans though, the Obama Effect has him feeling like the time is now to spit that raw. Who knew the most on point political commentary was gonna come from the Snowman?

On both "My President" and "Crazy World," Jeezy paints the quintessential portrait of the Black South. Positives, negatives, before unspoken, it's all there. Yeah, he pushed that white, but there wasn't no time to consider the repercussions. Him and his people need to pay the bills. We've heard the story before, but Jeezy weaves the stereotypical hood story into today's political fabric seamlessly. The talking heads won't understand what he's got to say, but for people of our generation, this is our "Paint It Black." There's no hiding, there's no window dressing, and he speaks for a generation of disenfranchised Americans facing an uphill battle in today's America. Jeezy, Nas, and anyone else who's chimed in on this historic moment have shown us that there isn't one way to live this campaign. From Jeezy's eyes, Will.i.am. (not my sh**, but some people feel it), Hova, etc., most everyone in hip-hop has had their go trying to capture the moment and for me, it culminates with Jeezy.

We should have known. Where else have people in America been hit the hardest throughout history? The Field... and someone had to step up and rep for it. To me, his story is the most effective because he didn't try to be anyone but himself. He doesn't switch his style for the subject matter and presents an imperfect hood panoramic. It's something all of us can see, dissect, and understand. It's a voice and sentiment we connect to on a base level with infinite implications. In a lot of ways, it feels like Pac... R.I.P. Could be sacrilege, but I can't lie. I haven't felt like this about a track since "Me Against The World." Who cares if some people consume the gangsta shell and drop the substance? As long as My Prezident's black and his lambo's blue, I'm gonna be straight. Jeezy's imperfections make him the perfect messenger. He speaks to and reaches people no teacher, leader, or even parent could reach. This is what hip-hop is supposed to be about. He embraces his place in society as a trapper, but instead of shying away from brass tacks policy issues, he takes them head on and doesn't look back. His confidence in the message and story will inspire hip-hop heads to speak out regardless of their past, demographic, socio-economic status, etc.

The news, the leaders, and the blog politik discusses policy in a sterile, emotionless, compromised way. For a lot of us not used to politics, we feel like fish out of water. Maybe we check the accent, the speak, the 59-50s, or use SAT words we have no idea how to flip, but I'll be God damn if what we have to say isn't real. No matter your background or your present state, you have an opportunity to make this country yours right now.

I still got mad hate for certain parts of American history. I can't front; I really never felt part of America, but I'm willing to put some of it in my back pocket, chalk it up to ignorance, and move forward. That's what Barack O-drama's convinced many Americans to do if he's gonna get to be the general of this sh**. A lot of America may be put off by what Jeezy or Nas have to say, but I'm glad they put it out. We can't continue thinking politics is someone else's business and that we're going to survive with another man's blue print for America. We can't just complain over bass and high hats, we need to understand that our perspectives are equally valid and demand air time. Don't get hoodwinked, it's our story, our time, and our duty. To me, Jeezy's message is that any of us are good enough to speak on this sh**: Get your own Hands-on-policy!

"I'm important too though, I was the first n**** to ride through my hood in a Lamborghini." - Young Jeezy

No comments: